Tuesday, January 06, 2009

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid

I was killing some time looking at old blog posts and clicking on some of the links I embedded. In the lengthy post on actress AnnaSophia Robb, I noticed the YouTube video for the Van Halen video for Hot for Teacher had been taken down "due to terms of use violation." So I updated it. Then I had a little holiday in my heart, Robb had updated her website. She has a movie coming out in March with Dwayne Johnson and Carla Gugino. Robb also included a link to a pdf of a lengthy report she wrote about her trip to India to learn more about the Dalits and to lend a helping hand.
I first heard about the Dalits of India a few years ago when I saw the film Amazing Grace,* a film about the 19th century struggle to abolish the African slave trade in England. It’s a powerful story about a crusade for mercy and justice, but it seemed like ancient history until a film footnote said that there is even more slavery in the world today than ever before; India alone has 250 million people are trapped in some form of slavery. That’s almost the entire population of the United States. I couldn’t believe that this could be true in the 21 century.

We here at Negative Outlook? hope Race to Witch Mountain is successful for Robb.

In the meantime, for your viewing entertainment, I can recommend The House Bunny, the heartwarming tale of Shelley Darlington, a Playboy bunny, played by Anna Faris,** who is kicked out of the Playboy Mansion and becomes a house mother to a down-on-their-luck sorority house.

--------------------
* great movie
** if you find you like Ms. Faris, which is not hard to do, check out Smiley Face, in which she portrays a stoner who eats a bunch of her roommates cupcakes, unaware that they are laced with marijuana and comedy ensues.

No comments: