Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Yellen for Fed chair (Romer would be better!)

Larry Summers is the Front-Runner? WTF? by Thoma

and via commenter Sadowski:

Larry Summers is unqualified to be Fed chair by Scott Sumner

Just shoot me by Scott Sumner

Do Larry Summers and Janet Yellen Disagree About Monetary Policy? by Yglesias

In the financial crisis behind-the-scenes books Summers comes off better than I would have guessed. He sided with Romer on somethings. He wanted to nationalize Citigroup. He has argued for more fiscal policy stimulus.

Scott Sumner on blogs:
Saturos asked me for areas where my views have been changed by bloggers.  I’d rather talk about bloggers who have influenced me.  MR is probably my favorite blog, but I’d single out 4 bloggers who often get me to rethink my assumptions; Bryan Caplan, Robin Hanson, Matt Yglesias and Paul Krugman.  In all four cases they often make claims with which I disagree.  After reading their arguments I still often disagree.  But I find that they seriously undermine my confidence in my own position.  That is, I find it hard to refute their arguments, even if the conclusion seems annoying.  Once and a while I am converted. 
In some cases (such as the Cowen and the Tabarrok/Yglesias examples mentioned by Noah Smith), I have vague and free-floating intuitions that suddenly solidify into strong coherent arguments.  In others I go from strongly supporting X, to having some doubts.  It’s rarely a 180 degree turn. 
I’d add that Yglesias influences me more than Krugman for two reasons.  First, he focuses more on narrow issues that interest me, such as progressive consumption taxes. (Has Krugman ever mentioned those?)  Yglesias does read my blog, and seems to be more a part of the monetary policy conversation as I see it.  Krugman almost never even nods to the monetary offset point.  He has a wider audience.  And second, Yglesias seems to come to positions from a more ideologically neutral perspective than Krugman.  That allows me to dismiss some Krugman arguments as “biased,” even if I really should not be doing so. 
I probably shouldn’t have started this list, as I don’t know where to stop.  I like lots of the MM bloggers, but tend to already agree on most points.  Ditto for Ryan Avent.  Other talented bloggers like DeLong I don’t read as often, purely due to lack of time.  I’m always running behind these days.  Even the two teenage econ bloggers (Soltas and Wang), have influenced me on a few points.
 I wouldn't be that surprised if Summers was relatively good as Fed chair. But then again I wouldn't be that surprised if he was complacent as Bernanke was.

No comments: